Wednesday 24 January 2007

When I grow up, I want to...

Hi - I'm new to blogging, but I reckon I get the hang of this. There's something quite empowering in the notion of unleashing your thoughts and opinions on the whole world! So, my plan is to come in and add to this every few days and see what comes out of my ideas and imaginings.

Most of all, I want people to realise that you are not alone in wondering what we are here for. Isn't there more to life than just the day to day routine. Yes, you may have a good life - but is it the life that you dreamed of when you were young?

So, if you're out there and reading this, please - let me know -what was it you wanted to be when you "grew up." Did you get there? How? Did you change your mind? If you had the chance, would you go back and do it all differently? Did you find something better?

For example, when I was about 15 I was pretty good at art. However, my teachers said some of my work was weird (The Turner Prize wasn't around then...). What I really wanted to do was design Album covers (in the days when everything was vinyl). My mother said that girls don't do that sort of thing...

So, I didn't. I did lots of other great things, but I stopped painting and drawing. And, when you stop doing things like that, you lose that edge of being just a bit better than average. Ok, so maybe I would have changed my mind by the time I reached 16, but I still have regrets. If not about being a graphic artist, about the lack of encouragement I got to chase my dreams.

Now I have an 18 year old son and guess what - he wants to be a graphic artist. He even said that he enjoys designing CD covers!!! Know what I said to him:

GO FOR IT!

No comments: